Thursday, April 7, 2011

Stevie's 30 Days of Doing Good

Dear Readers,
Tomorrow is April 8th, which means just one month until Stevie's first birthday. I seriously can't believe it. Time is a very strange thing. I can vividly remember last July/August, feeling like a million years had passed since she was born, and now last summer feels like it was just yesterday. Time, you are both my best friend and my worst enemy. Making life easier and easier, while pulling my little girl further and further away from me as you move along.

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about how I want to celebrate Stevie's first birthday. I know it's kind of  weird to"celebrate" a birthday for a baby who isn't around to open presents and smash her first piece of cake all over her face. But she was my daughter, and I believe her life is worth remembering, and the amazing impact she's had, worthy of celebration!

The next 30 days, leading up to Stevie's birthday are going to be really hard. To be completely honest, I've been dreading this month for awhile now. So I've decided that rather than spend the next four weeks lying around feeling sorry for myself (okay, who am I kidding, we all know there will definitely be some of that too!), I'm going to spend them doing lots of little things to honor my daughter's memory. Every day, up until May 8th, I am committing to doing one simple act of "good" in her name. I don't know exactly what these things will be just yet, but they'll probably include things like paying for a strangers' coffee order at Starbucks, or picking up some of the nasty post-winter garbage the snow has left behind along the streets, or donating to a couple of my favorite charities.

I'm going to be documenting/photographing as many of these acts of goodness as I can and sharing them here over the next 30 days.

I'd also like to ask you to join me in doing at least one act of random goodness in Stevie's name before May 8th. It doesn't have to be big, and it doesn't even have to cost any money. Just do something extra nice for someone else, and think of her while you do it.

I know in my heart that had she lived, Stevie would have brought so much joy and goodness to this world. This project will help me remember that she still has, and still continues to do just that. My world, and the world as a whole, is a better and more beautiful place because she existed.

If you've been at all touched by Stevie's story, I would really appreciate your support of this project. Please send me a quick email with the act of good you did, and even better, include pictures! My email address is kristin.cook23@gmail.com. If we're friends on facebook, you can also just send me a message over there. I'll be sharing these here on my blog, so make sure to let me know if you don't want me to share your story publicly. :)

Thanks everyone, for your continued love and support.

Xoxo,
Kristin

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely idea, Kristin. Time to get out my knitting needles... :)

Erin said...

This is a beautiful idea, Kristin, and a wonderful way to honor and commemorate your daughter's life.

BuzimommiE said...

What a great idea! I might have to borrow it also next month! Looking forward to doing Stevie's random act of kindness!
~C

Tiffany said...

beautiful idea <3

Michele said...

I love this. I commit to doing it. :)

Caroline said...

Great idea !!!

The Starwarsmamma said...

Her life is definitely worth remembering

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness what a wonderful idea. It is not strange at all to be celebrating a birthday for a child who is not physically here--clearly she is everywhere and all around you. :) I celebrate 4 birthdays a year and I only have 2 living children. Some people don't and would never understand...but when you are a BLM it's what you do. It can be such a wonderful (and sad) thing.

I would love to join you on this journey!

Heather said...

I think this is awesome :)

Melissa said...

I also love this. I will def do something good while thinking of her and let you know.

and I may steal this idea when Sammy's bday comes in Oct. I just reread your 6 month blog - Sammy's 6 month day was last Thursday. SMH it sucked.

lmw said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate Stevie's life. I will be looking for ways to spread a little goodness in memory of her.

Tiffany said...

you are such a remarkable woman, kristin. and i'm honored to "know" you. <3

Brandi west said...

I think this is a wonderful way to celebrate Stevie's first birthday. As usual you have managed to turn a difficult (massive understatement) time into a celebration of your little girl. You never cease to amaze me :). You've been on my mind as her birthday approaches and I welcome the opportunity to commit random acts of kindness in Stevie's honor. Keep on keepin on mama, you make us all strive to be better women. Xoxo

Cristina Allen said...

Aww! What a beautiful idea. Can't wait to get started... looking forward to it! (:

Franchesca said...

love this :) I love that you mentioned the world is a better place because she existed... so true Kristin. Thinking of you and your sweet girl ♥

Leanne said...

I LOVE this! I'll definitely do something in honor of Stevie. Now to think up something good...

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful idea. i also have had three loses and was always looking for ways to "celebrate" my children. i love this! what an amazing tribute to your daughter! -kim

Cyndi said...

I love this idea!! Stevie has made a difference in my life just by reading your blog and through the stories on Faces of Loss. The world is a better and beautiful place because of her and her mom's love for her.

The beginning of this post reminded me of a quote I read about time. I don't remember where I got it, but it helps me in that love/hate relationship with time.

"When we suffer a loss, we enter into a fascinating love/hate relationship with time. Time is our ally and adversary, our friend, and our foe. As the realization of our loss first closes in upon us, time stops. It allows us to sit and suffer in limbo. Hours and days may pass for others, but not for us. It is a natural thing to want to turn back the clock and stop its hands at the moment we suffered our loss. But it is, of course, a frustrating exercise in uselessness. Time refuses to stop, and we are fortunate that it does. It is fitting and proper to memorialize, remember, and commemorate the loss of those we love. When we try to stop time, we do not memorialize the dead as we continue on living. We cut ourselves off from any future joys and live only in the rewarmed memories of yesterday."

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved