Monday, July 16, 2012

Handmade baby legs (or OMG I actually sewed something that doesn't suck!)

Dear Readers,
I am obsessed with Baby Legs but $12 footless baby socks aren't exactly in the budget right now. So when I found these awesome Animal/Muppets knee socks on clearance at Target this weekend, I knew it was time to finally try making some Baby Legs of my own. It was seriously so easy, and they turned out really cute, so I figured I'd share!


Start with a pair of adult knee socks. Target has a bunch on sale for like $1.50 right now in super fun colors and patterns. I bought all mine in the women's section because I don't mind a little pink on my guy, but you could check the men's socks if you want something manlier I suppose :)

Next cut straight across the sock, right above the heel:


You could save the bottom parts of the socks to make crew socks out of, or if you're weird like my husband, you can use them as gangsta baby hats:


Anyway, next you flip the sock tubes inside out and fold them over to make a cuff at the bottom:


Then sew a hem around the bottom:


Flip them back right side out, and you're done!


If you want the bottoms to be tighter around the ankle, you could sew some thin elastic into the cuff, too.

How cute are they on my boy??



I'm like the worst seamstress in the world and even I couldn't mess this project up. And the best part is I was able to whip up a pair in under 10 minutes! Cheap, cute, and fast? You must give it a try :)

Have a great week everyone!

XO,
Kristin

15 comments:

Franchesca said...

That is TOOO easy!!! Thanks for sharing! How adorable is this!

Anonymous said...

soooo cute!!!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

so cute. adorable. i love animal!! (:

Beth Morey said...

Oh my gosh! I am TOTALLY INEPT at sewing, but I think this is something I could do! Thanks for sharing. :)

Paula said...

I just saw those socks at Target today. I am stealing your idea. So cute. Getting in my car right now ;)

car said...

Awesome socks for converting. There is a tutorial here that shows how to use the foot to make a cuff for the bottom http://www.flickr.com/photos/27862796@N03/3212191322/ (Just in case someone doesn't need it for a gangsta hat.)

Melissa said...

Totally random.. but I've been reading your blog for a bit now. Although our lives are nothing alike.. I finally made a blog and I am now officially a follower, not just lurking. Lol

Rhiannon said...

Love!!!

Caroline said...

Love this <3

Kim said...

Those are so cute!

Smathers House of Girls said...

my violet needs these in every pattern I can find!

Jessica said...

holy crap!that looks doable!! sweet!!!

Elaine said...

I did this too but ended up wearing them as arm warmers cause C hated wearing baby legs! If you cut a little slit in the end you have a hole for your thumb.

CourtneyAnna said...

I nominated you for a little bloggy award. You can see it on my blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

Snug and cozy design keeps children warm any time of the year. kids striped knee socks

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved