Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Elzilla Turns 1!

Dear Elliot,
Happy (belated) first birthday! So you've been a year old for about three days now and it still hasn't completely sunk in yet. When you were first born I couldn't even fathom what it would be like to have a toddler, and here we are! In some ways it seems like just yesterday we brought you home from the hospital; in other ways I can barely remember life before you were in it.

So for your first birthday party we decided to do a Godzilla theme. Actually, make that an Elzilla theme. I originally had these big dreams of doing a Very Hungry Caterpillar themed party, with handmade caterpillar pompom decorations, a spread of all the different foods featured in the story, and other Pinterest-y details. But life happened. And at the last minute, we decided to instead base your party around your favorite activity in the whole wide world: destroying things! Dad designed these awesome invites and we just printed them out at home:


He also made a pretty sweet table background:

(I take full credit for the Elzilla doll!)

And these super cool cardboard buildings for you and your baby-zilla friends to knock over:

(I found the hats at the Dollar Store. Pretty sure they're actually dinosaurs, but close enough!)

For your outfit you wore a dino shirt I found at the Baby Gap Outlet. Again, as close to Godzilla as I could find (they're both pretty destructive creatures, right?)



Our place was a bit cramped once everybody arrived, but it was so much fun seeing so many of the friends and family that love you all in one room! 







You were much more into opening your presents than at Christmas. Everyone gave you such awesome gifts. You are one loved and lucky little boy!




(Auntie Rachel made you this amazing felt "quiet book")

(Starting to get a bit overwhelmed from all the excitement, ha!)

For your cake, we wanted to give you something fun to destroy. So Dad made the cutest castle cake for you to dig into. You actually didn't go as nuts as I thought you would--I think it was a mix of everyone staring at you and the fact that the cake didn't have much frosting on it. You still had a lot of fun playing/eating it though:






It was a wonderful day celebrating the wonderful little person you're turning out to be. There were multiple times that day where I'd look down at you and tear up a bit just thinking about how much I love you. About how insanely happy I am to be your mom and watch you grow up. This has been the best year of my life and I am just so excited for all the years--and birthday parties--still to come.

(We tried to get a family pic the night of your birthday--this was the best we got. I kind of love it!)

Happy birthday, my crazy little Elzilla! I love you more than words can say!

XOXO,
Mom

1 comments:

CourtneyAnna said...

What a cute party! I love the Elzilla theme! Sully likes to walk around and destroy things as well. It must be a little boy thing. :-)

I teared up a little reading this post, because I look at Sully the same way. I always think to myself, "How did I get to lucky to be able to be the mom of this little boy?" It pretty much rocks, doesn't it? :-)

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved