Monday, September 27, 2010

The Little Things Part II

Dear Stevie,
I've been having a pretty down week, so I figured it was time to put on my 'positivity goggles' and make an effort to notice the good things in my life once again.

The little things that bring me joy:

1. Sixlets. I have always had a strange obsession with these yummy little 'candy-coated chocolate-flavored candies,' and have recently discovered they are now available in bulk form at Target. Amazing for my tastebuds, not so amazing for my waistline!


2. Etsy. I came home today to find these fun vintage-y necklaces in my mailbox. One even has a tree! I try to keep a nice, steady flow of Etsy purchases going at all times, so I always have something to look forward to.


3. "Where Men Win Glory." Jon Krakauer (author of "Into the Wild" and "Under the Banner of Heaven") has done it again! Amazing, amazing read for those, like me, that are into nonfiction. I had to put it down on a few occasions because it made me just so mad about the war we're in (and certain political figures associated with/responsible for that war), but I loved it!


4. A freezer completely filled with frozen apple juice, just waiting to be made into home-brewed hard cider :).


5. Rain. I've been feeling down a lot, and it's been raining like crazy. I love it when the weather mimicks my mood.


6. A husband that cooks for me. And wears Zubas while doing it!


7. The Birchwood Cafe. This is our new favorite spot for lunch, located in the Seward neighborhood in Minneapolis. Their menu changes all the time, and they use only in-season local, organic ingredients. What you see below is the cauliflower and fresh nutmeg soup with a side of jalepeno, cumin and lime chickpeas. Yum!


8. The fact that my house is now a chai tea factory. Dad has decided he wants to make and sell his own chai tea blends for fun, and has been perfecting his recipe for the last few days. So far, he has plans for a spicy hot pepper blend called 'Chai-ranasourus Rex' and a gingery Asian blend called 'Samur-chai.' How creative (and funny) is he? (some of his recipe notes are below).


There, I feel a bit better already :)

Miss you always.

Love,

Mom

16 comments:

The Starwarsmamma said...

I'm jealous of your weather!

Missy said...

Thanks for the positive perspective! It makes it easier to do when someone else has the strength for it. And that food looks delicious!

Maggie said...

It helps to think about the good stuff every now and then. ((((HUGS))))

Jody said...

Home-brewed hard cider? Sounds yummy. You might have to share the details on that recipe. The chai recipes sound delicious too.

Danae said...

I would sooooo eat that entire tub of Sixlets...YUM!!!!

rebecca said...

First, I also LOVE Etsy...my husband would say I'm addicted as of late! Second, the home brewed hard cider sounds amazing! Glad these things you love helped to make you smile.

Erin said...

Love the chai stuff!!! Way to go, Andy!

And Etsy is pretty awesome :)

Violet1122 said...

I love sixlets!!

I wanted to let you know I nominated you for an award on my blog. I've been following you since just about the time you started - and I've always loved your sincerity and honesty.

Hope you have happier days ahead!

Wyatt's Mommie said...

This post was awesome, really enjoyed it!

Andrea said...

I swear, you are just the cutest! I'm lovin Skittles and could get addicted to Etsy...an Etsy holic in the making! And that cafe, how adorable and what amazing food!

So sorry that your heart is hurting...makes mine hurt too :( Just wish there were some recipe that could "fix us". Hang in there cutie pie, I'm praying for less rain and more sunshine.

Much Love

Shanna said...

I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for an award on my blog too!

Anonymous said...

I very recently had a miscarriage at 5 weeks. My husband and I have a 2 year old and wanted to add to our family. I was shocked and very saddened by it all. Like you, I am 24 and healthy and didn't think this could or should happen to me. I came across your blog somehow and wanted you to know you have helped me. I love your posts; very helpful at much needed times. I hope happier times are ahead of you.

jersadee said...

I had a comment in my head for each photo. I thought I would add them all for you.

1. You always eat candy, always have, and are skinny within 2 days!
2. I like I buy. "Long as you will wear it?"
3. I actually read Into the Wild and I wrote an entire paper on how selfish I thought the main charter was... That was freshman yr.
4. When is the next batch?
5. Always were an emo princess at heart.
6. Kinda looks like eggs. What is he creating this time?
7. Is that a glass of water!?
8. Those are SWEET names!

jersadee said...

character**

Lori said...

I salivated at the thought of hard cider!

And seriously--Chai-Ranosaurus Rex?? Adorable. Your boy is adorable.

I so feel you on liking the weather to mimic my mood...I was SO grateful that Matthew's funeral was a rainy/gloomy/icky day. I'd have been miserable (even more) if it was bright and sunny and cheery.

Sending you lots of hugs!
xoxoxo

Brandi said...

Please give me more info on that first necklace you bought off Etsy! It's gorgeous!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved