Monday, November 7, 2011

19 weeks and some feedback?

Dear Readers,
So I've been trying to come up with (or I guess build up) a few different part-time things I can do for income when I'm at home with E, now that I don't have a fulltime job (and don't plan on getting one). The writing stuff has actually been going pretty well, and I still have Faces, too, but one thing I have always, always wanted to do was photography. I love it, and I think I have a pretty good natural eye for it. Then recently I started getting really into crafting, too, and a lot of the crafts I've been doing involve photographs. So it hit me (well actually, my BFF Jersa was the first one to mention it)--why not combine the two? Photography and photography 'art'? Not only could I take pictures for people, but I could give them the option of ordering cool, handmade gifts using the images from their sessions. What do you guys think? Is this a really weird/stupid idea, or do you think there might be some interest? I'm thinking I'd offer things like coaster sets, photo tile wall displays, clothespin photo frames, and hand-transfered canvases.

I started working on a little portfolio website, and I'd love it if you'd check it out and give me any feedback you might have. Here's the link (and please keep in mind it's definitely not "live" or even close to finished yet!) Thank you SO much for your help!

Also, I wanted to share a quick 19(ish) week belly shot:


The wind ruined every shot, but you can tell I am really starting to pop out with this little guy!

Our 20-week level II ultrasound is tomorrow morning. I am incredibly nervous and having a really hard time relaxing today. Any thoughts/prayers/good vibes/whatever would be greatly appreciated! I will try to update as soon as I can tomorrow (with hopefully good news and lots of pictures of little E!)

Thanks again you guys.

Love,
Kristin

11 comments:

Julie said...

i think it's a FANTASTIC idea. my only suggestion is to find a balance between offering enough crafty/gifty options that you don't get burnt out making the same ones over and over (you'll get tired of them and it won't be fun anymore), and offering too many to keep up with or to learn to do them all well. good luck; i think you'll be great at it!

Emily said...

I absolutely loved your last photo coaster idea. It's actually given me a really good project to try to attempt for Christmas. My (broke) friend and I have a deal that we are giving each other hand made items this Christmas and it must cost under $5. If these weren't the stipulations I would be tempted to use your new idea here and have you make them for me! Hope it ALL (photography, writing, job, baby E.) works out for you!

Anonymous said...

When I saw the picture you made of sticks for Elliot it reminded me of something that I have been wanting. Our last name made out of alphabet pictures. I think they call it alphabet photography. ?? Here is a link that I found that shows it. (first link I found that had what I am talking about - I have no affiliation to it)
http://www.artisticletters.com/

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!

Debbie

Hope's Mama said...

You look fantastic. I can't believe how fast it is going, though I know it won't be for you.
xo

Elementary Escapades said...

Love your stuff. Sounds like a good idea to me.

rebecca said...

Love the photographs & your ideas, it's fantastic!!! And you look beautiful...sending thoughts & prayers for tomorrows ultrasound!

Beryl said...

What an awesome and unique idea to run a photography business! I have visions of a beautiful shabby chic vintage website and edits on your images. Just make sure you do your research on pricing it all! The one thing I was shocked about when I began my business at how little I seemed to be making. And the time it will take you to hand make the items should be factored in. But I think it is totally a FANTASTIC idea. If you ever need any help/advice with getting off the ground you know you know who to call. ;)

Deanna said...

sending you lots of good vibes. look forward to seeing E again! your idea sounds fabulous and if anyone can pull it off, it would be you! ((hugs))

Celena said...

Why don't you try selling your stuff on Etsy? It is great and probably very busy with the holiday season! Good luck :)

Tara said...

I think the photography + crafts idea is awesome! I know a lot of people would love to have those items in their home, but might not have the talent, time, or motivation to do the projects themselves! Congrats on 20 weeks! That is a wonderful milestone!

Crystal said...

Wow... I wish you lived near me! That Christmas photo special is a FABULOUS price! Yeah for 20 weeks!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved